Sunday, January 20, 2008

Los Angeles Favorites: Michel Richard Patisserie

I lived in Los Angeles for the majority of my life, and many places that I grew up with have come and gone, with the exception of a few that have managed to survive the fickle preferences of Angelenos. Michel Richard's Patisserie on Robertson is one of them and even has employees who have been there for over 20 years. Michel Richard was a place my parents patronized for desserts for special occasions ever since we arrived in LA from NY in the late 70s. Even now when I go back home to visit, it is a given that after a shopping trip I'll be picking up four of their simple raspberry tarts with an almond flavored crust, along with a thick slice of their Country Black Pepper pate, a baguette, some apricot danishes, brioches, raspberry cheese mousses, and mocha eclairs. If I decide to stop by after shopping along Robertson, I'll order a warm salmon curry salad for lunch with a cup of their french onion soup. In recent years, many other patisseries have cropped up in LA, including Amandine that makes the most amazing strawberry shortcake, but stepping into Michel Richard reminds me of the 80s, my childhood, and a bite into one of their pastries makes me feel like I'm five again. You can't say that about too many places. Michel Richard: 310 S. Robertson Blvd. Los Angeles, CA. www.maisonrichard.com

No comments: